Monday, July 14, 2008

A Special Place in my heart for "Common Ground on the Hill"

This weekend was the first weekend that I looked forward to since my New Jersey trip. It's that time of the year again. It's time for Common Ground on the Hill. (commongroundonthehill.com) It's an "arts and music" camp of sorts that is more than just a camp. The idea is to bring together people from different cultures and backgrounds through the traditional arts.

In 7/97, my friend Jasaga, told me of cgoth. I told him that I could never afford to go away to camp. (it's held at Western Md. College now known as Mc Daniel) J. said to me, call them up and tell them you'll work off your tuition for your classes! So, I did! And that week in 7/97 has been one of the most meaningful weeks of my life.

In addition to the camp, which used to be one week and now is two, there is a 2 day roots music festival every year at the Carroll County Farm Museum. I rented a car this weekend and spent all day Sat. and all day Sun. watching folk, step dancing, african dance, bluegrass, canadian dance, and on and on and on. The attendees were so friendly, it felt so communal and open. What a shame it had to end. If I have to eat rice until my Aug. 3rd check arrives, it will be well worth it!

I have a photo from 7/97 camp. It's me singing Madrigals with Lea Gilmore, and Lacey, led my Margorie Boudreaux. (i think that was her last name) Whatever class a student takes at the camp, they get to display their work at the end of the week. So, if you spent the week learning how to oil paint, you would display your work at the end of the week. If you learned to build your own didgeridoo, you would show it off. My madrigals class had to put on a concert. I will post this photo on my website. P.S. Lea Gilmore is a world famous touring gospel singer!

No comments: