Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"Surviving as a car-less American"

The pedestrian, auto, bicycle mix is often a very dangerous one.  And, there are regular close calls daily even if you are hyper aware and using good judgement.  Most of these interactions are unpleasant to say the least.

Today, however, I'm going to share a little snippet of my pedestrian day that will likely bring a smile to your face as it did mine.

I've come up with a variety of ways to try to keep myself in one piece.  And I have come up with many many uses for an umbrella !

It is not uncommon for Mountain town cyclists to completely make up their own rules of the road.  Most travel fast on sidewalks highly endangering pedestrians.

 Today, even though the cyclist was on the road/he was about ready to run the red which means he would have hit me in the ped. walkway.

I held out my closed umbrella, completely straight as if it were a gate that comes down when the trains come-which forced the cyclist to stop!  He smiled and said in a good natured way: "GREAT BLOCK!"

No comments: