Monday, July 9, 2012

"You're an ugly drunk"

My not so close acquaintance, Gabriel* got on the bus yesterday as usual.  I guess I hadn't seen him in about a month.  I also know him and his family from the soup kitchen.  Today was different though, this isn't the Gabe I know.

We had an enjoyable conversation and even sang songs together.  I wondered why is this so different, usually Gabe acts like a buffoon on the bus and I worry that he'll stumble into me and fall.

I told him that one day a stranger turned to me and said "What kind of dope is that guy on?"  (referring to Gabe)  I told him I had no idea.  Today i relayed this story to Gabe, and he told me, no dope, just alcohol, but I've been sober for 8 months!

Wow!  I was absolutely stunned that a sober man is a completely different man from a drunk man.  Gabe is a new man.  I told him that I am very proud of him, keep up the good work, because:

"You were one ugly drunk!"

No comments: