Sunday, December 12, 2010

"Chance encounter at the coffeeshop"

Last September I was speaking with a woman in a cafe who is an occupational therapist. She was on her way to meet a patient who is also seeking a companion. I told her I might be interested.

She took me to meet "Wanda" 62. Wanda was friendly and is the adoptive mother of 3 babies from India.

I tried to reach her to arrange a get together and it just never happened, I couldn't get through. I tried one more time yesterday.

She said she also did not grow up in Carroll County. She grew up in the same suburban neighborhood as my birthmother. They went to the same high school, and are about the same age. I said, I doubt you know her, but her name is unusual and this is her name. Wanda repled: " I grew up 2 doors down and played with her throughhout my childhood!"

Wanda told me all sorts of things I didn't know. (I know nothing of birthmother's childhood or her siblings or my grandparents) She even gave me my grandfather's name which I didn't previously know. She said that many of my family members struggled with serious illnesses, in and out of hospitals. She said my grandmother was quite remiss in her parenting skills and let the girls run wild.

She told me all sorts of crazy stories which I can't post here, but I was thrilled to learn about. I don't even so much as have any photos of my birthmother's childhood.  Non adoptees takes their heritage information for granted but for me it's a gift to know even a little about my grandmother's personality-I only got to meet her once during reunion in 89.

Grandmother's first and only gift for me was a red tennis shoe keychain stuffed with a 5 dollar bill.  I thought it was precious! I never saw her again, but I sure wish I did, as she passed a few years ago.

Wanda said that when people would call my grandmother's house, she would pick up the phone and say: "Ring ring, ring ring!" Every time! Sounds a bit quirky, I can't think of a SOUL who inherited that trait!

No comments: