Thursday, May 24, 2007

A SERENDIPITOUS LIFE

There is an unbelievable amount of serendipity in my life. Many serendipitous happenings each day. It's been this way for at least 10 years. I looked up serendipity in the dictionary so as to provide clarity for this particular entry.

serendipity=GOOD LUCK IN MAKING UNEXPECTED AND FORTUNATE DISCOVERIES

O.K. here's a fun example. I bumped into my acquaintance Susan on Monday. Susan used to be Sam. Susan has decided to live out her life as a woman. When I told her that I was working on my memoir, she asked me what steps she should take to get her own memoir written?

I told her everything I know then spent this week trying to come up with more creative ideas.

Do I personally know any gay authors?

transgendered authors?

I know lots of gay and bi-sexual people.

  Maybe I should put Susan in touch with the GLBTC, the gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgendered center of Baltimore.

I thought this might be the best bet since so many people, even liberals, are often a little bit uncomfortable with building relationships with transgendered people. So, I'm thinking about this and you'll never believe what happens next.

I've been very sick for about a month. I'm took the bus to my new doctor, Dr. W today (I have a non-contagious variety of bronchitis) After our visit, I asked him about the book he has displayed in the receptionist's window. Have you read it? I asked. (It's non-fiction and it's called: GETTING SIMON about 2 gay doctors who adopt children) Dr. W. giggled and said, oh yes, I've read it all right! It was written by my partner about our lives together and the adoption of our children! "I didn't know you were gay!" I said with a smile! He just smiled.

Well now, doesn't this provide an interesting connection for my acquaintance, Susan! I can't wait to tell her about it!

No comments: