Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Interview at the Daycare Center"

I dropped off my application in June.  I called every 2 weeks to follow up on it. Got my interview last week for teacher's aide.

I arrived about 1/2 hour early. You can see the classrooms when you're sitting in the park lot. because the blinds are open.    I've seen a few things over the months that concern me; but like i've said in prior blogs; the only schools that really impress me are the Waldorf and the Young School.

So, I'm sitting in the car and the teacher is letting a 1 year old play inside a full  toy box.    The child is keeping her balance by hanging onto the glass window. She goes to pull the venetian blinds down because her height is increased by being in the toy box.

Instead of the teacher removing her from the toy box, the teacher raises the blinds higher.

I go inside. There is no one in the office so i am "trapped" in the foyer or about 10 minutes. I can't get in the school because there is a security keypad.    I reason that eventually someone will notice me. The other interviewee comes in and we are both essentially trapped in the foyer.

Eventually we are asked to go sit in the office. I wonder which seats we are supposed to wait in? The asst. director says: "Let me call the director on her cell to see how "close" she is to the school!"

"How close" she is to the school I wonder? Shouldn't she be HERE?

asst. says, "She just passed Sheetz"

What is Sheetz I wonder?

The other interviewee isn't paying her much attention and is filling out an appl.

An asst. begins searching for my application.  (Shouldn't that have been found before my interview time?)    She is distracted and gabbing with 2 other employees at the same time. My anxiety is increasing. Doesn't look like she'll find it. She asked me my name again, then said: "I'm sure the interviewer will know where you're application is!"

Director comes in and starts looking for my application.    No luck. Yells across office about what my name is? The asst. is so loud I wonder how the director can even hear me. No appl. She said she'll just wing the interview without my application in hand?!

The other interviewee and I are shuffled back to an unheated room. Director provides the other girl with a thorough interview based on her APPLICATION! Then cheats me with  a much shorter interview. Director makes more eye contact with the other girl. Says there is no one on teaching staff over 29....................(I'm 46)

I look over at the director's notes. I note the proper first and last name for the other girl on one paper, and SMITH on the other paper. I asked who SMITH is?

She said: "That's you!"

NO I  said incredulously I'M SNYDER!

"Well, I thought you said Smith!" the employee said.

We are sent in for a 15 minute working interview. We each got to pick an age group. I pick 4 year olds. The moment I enter the room I am devastated by the stench of bleach. I'm reminded of how bleach triggers migraines. No windows are cracked and i think they should be.

Anyhow the kids are dancing which is perfect cuz I can just jump right into that. I felt happy instantly with the kids. But the teacher didn't enjoy the kids at all. She kept reprimanding them and even seperated them for talking. (They are only 4)

I thought it a shame that she doesn't enjoy her job. She was supposed to be observing me but she wasn't........................

I feel I was at a distinct disadvantage.

I called yesterday to see if I got the job, and the director implied yes. She said she'd call back in 2 hours but didn't.

I called this morning and she said things have changed call back in 2 weeks.............

cest la vie

No comments: