Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"Which is the worst torture?!"

I got my teeth cleaned today for the first time in 6 years. It was horrendous. Well first off the hygienist kept asking me the same question over and over again. I thought, how many languages do you need this answer in?

But what I mean by torture is, The office is playing non stop Christmas Carols.  But on top of that you've got that horrible machine that blows air in your mouth, and the cleaning machine that makes a high pitched squeal. It hurt my ears and I thought boy I should have brought earplugs.

I asked the hygienist a question about the anesthetic. She said "What do you mean anesthetic?"

  "Do you usually use it?  Well, the doc. told me last time you would use I anesthetic  since I"m so sensitive, and my gums are so diseased."

She went and got him and indeed he did say that. I figured he probably also did not communicate with her that they are only to clean 1/2 of my mouth today. I was thinking about the multi sensory torture and how I just wanted to get it over with. How about when they ask you questions while they have the tools in your mouth. I hardly ever could hear a word she said because she was drown out by Christmas Carols.

It was a very painful process but I'm so glad I got it over with. And I really don't know which of the multi sensory tortures were worse. She slipped and poked the needle into my lip and didn't even apologize!

But I am really grateful to finally have been able to take a step toward keeping these pretty teeth.  Carroll County Social Services is paying for this dental work today; a program that does not exist in Baltimore.

No comments: