Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Beggars and street people"

Generally speaking, Baltimoreans view my friendliness as suspicious. And it's a sad, sad thing but i think I get why. The only person who spoke to me yesterday in public wanted money from me.

The first person to speak to me in public today was also someone who wanted something from me. FRIENDLY BUT GUARDED. That's my motto. I was in the Subway today, and there was a man standing on the stoop outside who smiled at me. I smiled back. Another man was walking in as a customer. Man one said to man two who is that rock star on your shirt. Man two was suspicious of the friendliness and was speechless. Man one followed man two into the restaurant.

Man 1-Is that the rolling stones?

man 2-No response

ME-I think it might be Mick Jagger?

Man 2-No, it's guns and roses

ME-Oh, Axel Rose. He's from a town that I used to live in.

Man 1-Where is that?

ME-Lafayette, Indiana.

Man 2 orders his food, and man 1 walks near my table.

Yes, that's Axel Rose he's from Lafayette.

You're from Laf? I lived in Chicago. he said. I continue to be friendly, but do remain guarded. He said I'm a street person. REally I said? You're really super clean. He said, not usually, I just got all cleaned up a little bit ago and someone gave me this baseball cap.

ME-I know most of the Towson street people either by name or by face, how long have you been homeless?

MAN-this time, only about a year.

ME-Wanna hear something shocking?

MAN-I know what you're going to say, you're going to say, why don't I go to the shelter.

ME-Actually, I was going to tell you that I used to be homeless, and black men always say to me "a white woman, homeless?" But poverty knows no color.

MAN-That's right.

ME-How did you become homeless?

(Most homeless just need someone to listen to them non-judgementally)

MAN-I was adopted

ME-Me too.

MAN-I'm only 26. I went into foster care at age 4, me and my brother. But my mom couldn't afford the rent after it went up 50 dollars. You know, I'm a drunk and an outlaw.

ME- I know, 500 a month is an awful lot of rent.

MAN-So I stayed at this mission and then the Salvation Army, but I couldn't follow all of the rules. You had to work 40 hours a week, and my boss got mad at me.

(I'm beginning to suspect this guy is going to ask me for money)

ME-So where do you sleep at night?

MAN-The parking garage. (He is ogling every woman who walks by outside.) See that woman over there?

ME-Yes

MAN-She's too big, she's not my type.

ME-MMMHMMM.

MAN-You think you can help me out? Give me some money?

ME-I don't carry cash, Baltimore is too dangerous for that. But I can buy you a drink. (Obviously I mean a soda, we are in the Subway)

MAN-A beer?

ME-No not alcohol.

MAN-I don't drink soda. Well, have a blessed day

ME-You too, good luck.

MAN-I don't believe in luck, just blessings and miracles.

ME-Well, wishing you many good things.

Bye

See YA

3 comments:

IndieBookMan said...

Hey E, its Brad!

Finally got to check out your digs here. I really like what you are doing. I think there are so many people in situations similar to yours, its great that you are giving a voice to it. It is hard for many of of us to understand what life can be like when you don't have the freedoms, opportunities and amenities that so many of us take for granted.

Thanks for chronicaling the travails of your life... I am looking forward to continuing reading.

It was really nice to see you again the other day, by the way. It was really great of you to come out to listed to sahffi... she and I and the little one were all happy to see you.

Anyway, keep on trucking - and keep up the great writing. Take care and I hope to talk to you again soon!

brad

Unknown said...

8 years later and I see that you left me a comment! I ended up being forced to flee the state of Maryland because I was being stalked and threatened with my life. this little town in Arizona is the best place I've ever lived in my life

Unknown said...

so honored that you took the time to check out my blog, I only found out that you made this comment just tonight which is 8 years late. Was forced to flee to Arizona so glad to be out of Baltimore likely will never go back even for a visit. Hope your family is well I know your little ones getting big and you may even have more kids by now. Hugs