Thursday, July 5, 2007

"PUBLIC HOUSING ANTICS" 5/3/07 and" SHADES OF GRAY"

As of today, the level of danger in my building has increased. The scariest of the 3 maintenance men is moving into the building today. Not only does he have easy 24/7 access with his master keys, he can make copies of my key for his friends who live here in the building. (We are not allowed to change locks without giving maintenance a copy of the key)

After brunch, I was sitting in front of Kookaburra cafe. My neighbor "Paula" from my building happened by. She's a very street smart African American about 55 years old. I don't usually understand her speech perfectly but I can get the overall picture of what she tries to communicate. She's very scared here at La Pew Apts and feels desperate to get out like me.

Paula-"You smellin' those drugs up in your apt?"

E-"Absolutely. Sandra (another neighbor) asked me if I was getting the 2nd hand crack cocaine smell and I replied: "Is that what that is? That probably explains my migraines and bloody noses"

P-"The drug smell is real bad. You know they (staff?, residents?, visitors?)crawl into the pipe walls.

P. and I discussed the mysterious 24/7 banging in our building, we wonder if the place is haunted. P. went on to say that staff have installed special speakers in the bldg. so they can spy on our conversations. I'm not sure where these speakers are. She suggests they, the speakers, and possibly video cams. have been secretly installed in our smoke alarms in our apts.

P.-"Did you see in the newsletter that Parker, the new maint. man is moving into our bldg. today?

E-"I did read that in the newsletter. We're in even more danger now."

P.-"We sure are. He hangs out with some really bad news people who live in our building."

We talked about the steps we are taking to try to move. She said that the last time she moved, HUD "changed her name" I told her that Baltimore City kicked me off the wait. list for section 8 in 2002 but didn't alert me. I didn't find out until 2004. I still don't have my voucher, and I first got on the wait. list in 94.

E-"I found out who supervises "La Pew Apts."

P-"You did?"

E-"Yes, they're in FL. They told me to install a videocam so that I can catch the maint. men in the act of stealing from me, but I fear retaliation."

P-"You can't tell on them. They WILL retaliate."

E-"I know."

P and her friend went to the grocery store. Our conversation pushed me to go over there for boxes and finish packing. Walking back from the grocery store she saw me again and said: "Be careful, they prejudice in our building."

E-"I'm well aware that they don't like me because I'm white."

P-"Well, they don't like me either because I'm such a light skinned black!"

E-"Oyy" I roll my eyes.

"See you soon."

P-"O.K. see you soon"

No comments: