Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"Are you lesbian!"

I was out on a walk a few weeks ago when I saw a very masculine woman getting out of her "Mrs. Tool" truck. (She runs her own business as a repairwoman) I thought, "I know that woman!" I went over to her and said, "I know you! We met about 10 years ago in Charles Village! Your name is Tracy and your wife is Phyliss."

"Yes! she smiled. " Well, Phyliss and I aren't together anymore, but you have the right person! Who are you?"

"I'm Elana, and we must have met at a party or something but you're very memorable! "

"Hi Elana! Are you a lesbian?"

"No, (I smiled) Why did you think I was a lesbian?

Is it the caribeener key chain hanging from the belt loop of my jeans?! You certainly aren't the first person to guess incorrectly that I am gay!"

"No, it's not the keychain, Tracy* replied.....................it's........................well (Tracy drew an air outline of my figure) and that you aren't wearing any makeup!"

"Well, I'm straight, but I'm not narrow!" I exclaimed.

"I live right here in this house, and I'd like to be your friend. Won't you please come by any time?"

"Thank you!" I said. "It's a deal!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Years ago, Katie asked me if I was gay. I told her no. She said, " I was certain that you are because you are never with men. And, you have such a sexual, sensual, flowy way of being! I thought, surely Elana's a lesbian!"

(When someone tells you that you have a sexual, sensual, flowy way of being I can assure you, you will never forget it!"

No comments: