Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"My search for alternative housing"

Many of the people who make intial offers don't follow thru. Or sometimes I can't take it because it's not the right fit. Certainly there is a better chance of finding something safer now that I have a car, but the real safe neighborhoods, in some cases rural, require me to have an emergency car fund or credit card in case I need a repair. Staying at la pew is absolutely not an option and in the last few weeks I've given away alot in preparation to leave.

4/14 an offer to share a room in reading, no rent

about 5/1 I consider just living in a tent and going from music festival to music festival and realize that I don't sleep well in a tent

-an offer to share a room in brooklyn park (balto city which i'm desperate to get out of)

-an offer in d.c. for me own room if i keep the place clean. when i called back to set up the interview the # was a bum lead. this one was one of my more promising leads in that the homeowner really impressed me initially

-an offer for my own room in Jacksonville in a house. but the homeowner warned me"I'm really loud when I'm having sex"

5/3 ish

-an offer in manchester pennsylvania for my own room. "I'm a hippie" the homeowner tells me. (I discovered that his idea of "hippie" is that he has long hair) I asked him if he smokes in the house. "that's my prerogative" he replies.

-an offer for my own free apt. in balto city or in pa. strings attached

-an offer for my own room in spring garden, pa

an offer for my own room in a modular home in yrok township. We set up interview. No show.

an offer for my own room in Media, PA. I'd have 2 roomates. The homeowner made a point to repeat 4x that one of my roomates is bi, and said that "if you go that way, she will hit on you" and she is "loud"

-a maybe in Annapolis, MD. own room.

-an offer inLansdowne, my own room. But when I asked if we could change the time, he said maybe he'd show up, maybe not. so this one didn't come thru. this one was one of my faves as a temporary fix on a week to week basis, because going on housing interviews to PA is costly for me and I worry about the car breaking down. I do like some aspects of being in PA in summer because it might not be as oppressively hot as bmore is.

-an offer to crash on the sofa of a friend in mt. wash. this is my safest option but i know i won't sleep on a sofa.

I've been on a wait list for a subsidized apt in carroll county. they called me with a bit of a "teasing" phone call yesterday. They said: "You are 5th on the wait list. If the other four don't respond we will offer you the apt. by friday"

(I'm betting this is creme de la creme of section 8 apts. and goodness knows I'd be safer. I'd love to get to a climate with no real winter, as I really can't stand being cold; but no one is forcing me to make a long term commitment wherever I go, I just know I can't live with this kind of day to day danger anymore)

No comments: