Thursday, May 7, 2009

"Recycling is too complicated"

I've most certainly written about this before but it was before I had a blogsite. When I lost my Mercury in July 2006 I had to stop recycling. Now when I had the car I just drove all of my recycling to Whole Foods in Mt. Wash because I didn't feel safe at the Sisson St. Recycle Center. Now there is no pick up at my bldg.

Of course now I have a car but I wouldn't have driven to any recycling centers in the bitter cold weather. About a month a go I tried to drop my recycling off at Whole Foods they no longer accept it. Today, I tried to drop it off on Warren Road but that center was closed for the day. I decided to bite the bullet and drive to Sisson St.

An attendant yelled at me when I drove in. "Miss, what'ya have?"

Everything I replied.

You can only drop off brown. Everything goes in one place. (These might not have been her exact words so I made her repeat herself because I didn't understand her) She said the same thing again and I wondered does she mean they only take brown tin cans?

So, I asked someone else, and she said the attendant might mean that everything I have goes in the brown dumpster. Well, that doesn't make sense I think to myself. Plus, the brown dumpster is labeled "paper."

I said to her, "I see you're only putting cardboard in the brown dumpster", I said. She replied: "I want to make it easier on the staff!"

What?! I think. I just have to do whatever and hope it's right. So I was the only person who put all of my recyclables in the brown dumpster but there were no other dumpsters labeled Aluminum, glass, etc. so what am I supposed to do? Believe what I read or believe what I've been told which wasn't even coherent.

Needless to say, I don't expect to return to the Sisson St. recycling center.

No comments: