Thursday, May 7, 2009

"A Simple peoples, a peaceful place"

Three months ago my friend introduced me to a place called "The Pennyslvania Dutch Market" Perhaps you've heard the ads on the radio. That has got to be one of the neatest most peaceful places I've been to in Baltimore. These Amish families are driven from their homes in Lancaster to the market 3 days a week. It's like an indoor farmers market but with much much more.

Quilts, beds, homemade furniture, homemade greeting cards, jewelery, delicious homemade foods of all variety. you name it. And there is no such thing as a rude clerk. I've always had a little bit of envy of these folks. This simple life that they live seems so joyous and healthy. Now of course I know it's not perfect. For example if a person lives in the community and decides to join the English I think in some cases they are disowned. But I understand that there is a time frame where a young person is allowed to make their own decision about that without ostracization from the community. And I'm sure there are some tough rules regarding dating as well which could be a challenge.

The fresh air, growing your own food, always having community around, not having to commute in a pollution spewing auto.........................................."The grass is always greener"

No comments: