Saturday, November 21, 2009

"My Life on the Streets" by Joe Homeless

I've been looking for about 7 years. I had heard that there were a couple of books out there memoir style about people who had experiences like mine, but they are few and far between.

Yesterday I was in the library (not in the memoir section) in the Social Issues section. I found a book entitled "My Life on the Streets" It was published in 1992. This guy who is afraid to use his real name, documents (like I've done for 16 years) everything that happens to him while on the street. He can't spell well or type and apparently has no journals or pens or notebooks. He finds a discarded tape recorder. 

He makes tape after tape from wherever he is spending the night. I think in the end he had 30 or 35 tapes that were 60 minutes long.

I read this book in one day. I've had so many experiences that are similar to Joe. For one thing, after you read this book you realize that most humans really are scum. He and I have mostly bad experiences with humans. Yet he never calls humans scum in his book even though that's how everybody treated him.

I just googled to see where he is today and I'm dissapointed to learn that he died in 1999 at the age of 56.

Have you heard of him? He fell homeless at the same age as I did, 30 years old and like me, never made a full recovery to a normal life.

No comments: