Friday, September 2, 2011

"Shattered Dreams/Desperate Souls"

All ur blemishes are magnified when you live in a small town.

Never in my life have I met so many people who are either currently homeless, used to be homeless, or who are at risk.  Certainly I'm no longer then only one who has been through so much, but it is a sa state of affairs in this town.

Of course there are many contributing factors to folk's bad situations.    Drug abuse like alcohol, meth (meth mouth, i heard of this when i moved here, many have it) and/or prescription drugabuse. 

Also the lack of gainful employment on top of the lack of affordable housing. I know few who are employed at all.

The men here are glaringly low functioning. I mean from my p.o.v. they haven't been thru 2% of what I've been thru, yet they can't keep showered, keep their clothes laundered, and lose teeth prematurely.

Many have lost hope for a normal life. This goes just as much for the whites as it does for the Native Americans.

There are many opportunities for me to help others using my social work background.

No comments: