Saturday, October 27, 2007

"The California Wildfires"

It's been really heartbreaking to watch this on t.v., read about it in the newspaper, and listen to the stories on n.p.r. Ironically, about a month ago, I was sitting on the front porch of my favorite bookstore and talking with my acquaintance Jack. I told him that CA is my dream place to live, but with global warming, each region has it's own sets of challenges and we can't really count on a normal climate anywhere, not even San Diego.

The barista,  from Southern CA interrupted and said: "I can assure you it will be many years before CA or anyplace sees the effects of global warming" This girl has a real difficult personality; if you say the sky is blue, she will say no it isn't it's orange.  I said nothing in return as I didn't want to argue with her.   and I thought: "She hasn't seen the documentary: "An Inconvenient Truth."

Perhaps many Americans won't make the connection between the wildfires and global warming, but according to Gore, there is a definite connection. yet two of the fires are being investigated as arson.

Just like with Katrina, I was hoping to get involved with this disaster too, by providing emergency counseling, a listening ear, and help for folks looking to get connected to resources. Hmmmm. Perhaps I'll advertise on Craig's List. I'd love to help. If anyone knows what homelessness is like, it's definitely me!

Do you know anyone affected by the evacuation? Ellen Degeneres has her dad and stepmom staying with her, they are evacuees, however she hasn't said anything about them losing their home, so I hope for the best..........................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an immense amount of empathy for the victims of the fires in California. To suggest that there is a connection between them and human caused global warming is very naive although a lot of left wing propagandists would suggest otherwise. Even if the phenomenon of man caused climate change does exist, the leading scientists that support it believe it is occuring at a very slow rate and unlikely to show any real effects for centuries....remember the oceans were rising at about the same rate that they are today even before the industrial revolution in the late 18th century.
I saw Al Gore's movie and thought it was a very nice movie....certainly not however a`scientific look at the issue. You might check out this link for a more balanced view http://www.globalwarming.org/node/1235
Your suggestions that you may volunteer to help are very admirable...I think a lot of people affected by catastrophe need more than anything someone to listen to them. I do volunteer work at least one day a week and it really does wonders for me to know that I can make a difference in the life of somebody that otherwise would not have been helped.
Keep up the blog Elana, I read it every week and enjoy your postings. I hope your writing takes off, you are very talented.

elana r. snyder said...

thank you for your comments, love to know your name.