Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Looking back at Social Work School"

And I think it's darn interesting, because of the direction my life took. I was given this packet while working as a Homelessness Prevention Caseworker; 1.5 years before falling into "my own" never ending cycle of homelessness.

Initially, in the color black, I will type up the directory itself, as I received it in 1992. Manual updates that I made in my own handwriting over the years, I will include in different coloration to make it easier to distinguish.

A NATIONAL DIRECTORY OF STATEWIDE HOMELESS, HOUSING AND RURAL HOUSING COALITIONS AS WELL AS STATE GOV'T CONTACTS

"author's" note: now obviously in black you will not see websites or email addresses as I received this directory pre:internet. But certainly you'll have enough basic tools to look up the internet updates yourself if you see something particularly interesting!

August 1990

National Coalition for the Homeless
1621 Connecticut Ave. NW Ste. 400
Wash. D.C. 20009

www.hud.gov
www.nchv.org are community based organizations.

In 1/94 I ended up using this directory to try to break the cycle of homelessness that I had fallen into. It obviously did not work! But i saved it anyway!

So as to prevent my "fingers from falling off" from all of the typing; I am going to include the states of particular interest to me because of their climate or politics or progressive reputation!

Arizona

AZ Dept. of Economic Security Community Services Admin.
PO Box 6123-0867
Phoenix, AZ 85005

Homeless Task Force/AZ Human Services Coalition
M. Clark
c/oTraveler's Aid
40 W. Veterans Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85713

California

CA Coalition for Rural Housing
2000 O Street Suite 230
Sacramento, CA 95814

CA Homeless Coalition

CA Right to Housing Campaign

Florida

Florida Coaltion for the Homeless
PO Box 76301
Tampa, FL 33675

FL Dept. of HRS
Office of Program Policy and Development
Bill Hanson
1317 Winewood Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399

Florida Low Income Housing Coaltion

FL Non-Profit Housing

Governor's Task Force on Homelessness
FL Dept. of HRS
Jill Sandler
1317 Winewood Blvd. Bldg. No 1 Room 216
Tallahasse, FL 32399

Hawaii

Affordable Housing Alliance
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 1605
Honolulu HI 96813

Hawaii Housing Authority
Aric Arakaki
PO Box 17907
Honolulu, HI 96817

So You get the picture. Also in my original packet, I've got lots of handwritten notes regarding the status of my own HUD application. I called in 03 to the Baltimore Hud Office to see where I fell on the wait. list. I was told that my name had been pulled "off the wait list due to returned mail"

Imagine all of the thousands of people whose names get dropped because they were homeless and no one could reach them. I don't understand why HUD, food stamps, etc. don't communicate via email. Because homeless people can maintain an email account for free at the library and therefore won't get lost in the shuffle.


No comments: