Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"When Ex-cons have Baptist funerals"

My friend treated me to a newspaper the other day. As a result of buying the paper i discovered that my lovely warm full of life acquaintance died. She was my age. I think you'll enjoy this vignette about her, Dee.*

I was living at the Dye Inn from June 1 thru July 17th. In June I was visiting Leanne's room when I met Dee.

Leanne* had the door to the hotel room open (l. has a mutt that i really bonded with named stormy*) when a freshly washed, soaking wet white dog ran in! The dog stunk! Seconds later Dee, came in and said "I'M SO SORRY THAT......"

L replied: OMG it's Dee! It's so great to see you!"

Dee-(dee and l. embraced)

Both are very very talkative, not listening really to what the other said. Initially L. said: "This is my beautiful and amazing friend Elana."

Turns out that D. just got out of the same women's prison as L. They exchanged memories and stories that i found fascinating as I never knew female ex cons before. I know better then to ask about their crimes, and i get a kick out of the fact that women bond deeply in prison. I found D. to be feisty, sassy and very very warm.

D, L, and myself have all had hard lives, but I'd describe all of us as still very warm. Everytime I run into D. out in public she hugs me. This last time i saw her she said her life is finally looking up. She's living with a rele. rent free and working as a housekeeper which she loves. She said I'm saving x dollars a week!

Even though if you asked D. what my name is she would not have remem bered. But the last time I saw her she was full of life and happy about her new beginning.

I will go to the funeral and introduce myself to her family as well as share the dog vignette, minus the ex con talk!

No comments: