Monday, June 18, 2007

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE "INTELLIGENT"?

Who is the most intelligent? The kids that get into the expensive private universities? I did not come from a home that valued intellectual pursuits!. There were no books in my home growing up, and my parents discouraged academic pursuit. (yes, I know my parents are weird)

Here's why I give you this background. I never thought of myself as particularly intelligent before the age of 30 because I was never told by my family that I was.

Here's a fun anecdote, I think. I was telling my friend Alan that I had never thought of myself as particularly intelligent. Then, I began to notice. Regardless of which university library I use I watch the same thing happen over and over again. Students sit down at a computer, don't see an image and try out another computer. (I'm not technically savvy at all!) I'll watch 6 students (even at hopkins) try out the computer, then leave and try another one.

Well, I decided to find out if these computers really are "broken" I troubleshoot for 3 minutes, and the computer is working! This happens in 99% of all cases. I no longer feel intimidated or convinced that college students, doctors, grad students are more intelligent than I am!

And for all of the people who tell me that they aren't "college material" but they'd like to go, I say: "the heck you aren't! is this something that you want? then most likely, you can achieve it! go for your dream!"





(IF I HEAR ONE MORE ADULT SAY "LIE-BERRY" I THINK I'M GOING TO SCREAM, BUT THAT'S ANOTHER STORY!)

No comments: