Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fire is one of my greatest fears

The way our apt. bldg. is designed, we have the old "motel" heaters. You know the kind you have in your hotel/motel room? So the heat doesn't reach our bedrooms and bathrooms. Living on York HIghway I hear sirens constantly and always pray that they aren't coming to our bldg. Yesterday, 12 hours after our bldg. fire, I was alerted, informally by a neighbor at the mailbox! I never heard the smoke alarm! A man's space heater (my neighbor, i don't think i know him) overheated. This makes me feel so powerless. I simply have to move, and I'm aggressively seeking a new home.

One of my female neighbors said (and most of the people in my bldg. don't really seem too lucid/bright) that the man (D.) had no business using a space heater, and had no business living on the 4th floor in a wheelchair! She said that" there is no point in planning how to get out of a fire, God is the only answer, and you just need to pray, if god wants you to get out safely you'll get out safely!"

I haven't met one person (there are 160 units) in my apt. bldg. that i can relate to! needless to say. Anyhow, I guess I got"lucky" yet again surviving yet another major incident. Did you see the fire on the news? I did not. I watched the 11 p.m. news but didn't see anything,,,,,,,,,,,,,so I just googled for the article. This man's current condition is unknown to the public, but he is in shock trauma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude that's totally fucked up.......

hell I wish I could sue the management of La Pew for causing BOTH OF US undue stress..........you of course because you live there, and me because you're my friend and those fuckers make me worry like crazy......

But I guess a lawsuit would be pointless because after all it's inner city morons we'd be dealing with.


Oy vey is damn right!

elana r. snyder said...

you are hilarious! even if i were a county resident, i doubt that things would be run much more professionally. on the other hand, i do consider a move from city to county to be an incremental move upwards, societally speaking!