Friday, February 1, 2008

"Getting There" 1/16/96 part 2

Looking back at 1/16/96



I found a subway station and arrived at Owings Mills  Metro Station @ 12:35 p.m. I had to wait 65 minutes for the bus that would get me to the mall. Everyone had a story to tell about the horrors of the MTA.

30-40 people waited 3.5 hours for the M-16 bus. I finally got to the mall @ 1:50 p.m. (I could see the mall from the metro station but couldn't safely walk the distance) One interview down and one to go. Dear Lord I hope it goes well, and "I pray" that my friend will drive me back to the city and spare me the return trip misery.

The interview took 80 minutes. Patty was very sweet but the job sounds miserable. 8 hours a day on the phone. In the meantime, where should I turn to for rent help?

Salvation Army?
the churches?

When I got done with my interview I called my friend Brenda to see if she could pick me up and bring me to her Randallstown home. Her phone service is down! Called PikesvilleCab, they say there is a 5 to 60 minute wait. So I began my "selective hitchiking." I got a ride with an elderly woman who said that she has to drive to Randallstown.

I arrived @ Brenda's just in time for a wonderful home cooked lasagna dinner. Afterwards, she drove me back to the city.

(Author's Note 1/08 I no longer have the physical, emotional and psychological wherewithal to withstand the MTA nightmares that I used to put myself through. I've drastically reduced my attempts at traversing distances more than 2 miles (in any given direction.

Is it any wonder why there is a "car theft epidemic" in Baltimore? One doesn't have a chance in hell at a normal life without a car)

No comments: