Thursday, May 15, 2008

15 yrs. after college graduation/Emergency Assistance Centers

I had the news on, and I was on my way out of the bedroom into the other room. But when I heard the newscaster say this, I ran back into the bedroom. "Imagine having a college degree, a job and going hungry. We have the statistics on middle class hunger"

Some states have seens a 73% increase in usage of emergency food banks in the last year due to hunger. And it's the middle class that we're seeing.

(Now my comments)

Because I did something extra for myself this month (go to New Jersey) I will pay the price on every level. Today I can either walk the 14 blocks to the city food pantry, then walk back with heavy bags, or I can take the bus to the Towson food pantry (and utility energy assistance) or I can live solely off of rice, eggs and bread! (can be done, but boring!) I used to worry that I'd starve to death when I missed lots of meals, but now I think I heard that you only need 200 calories a day to survive. Certainly there are millions of people around the world who are living off of very few calories.

Well, I feel particularly unsafe doing the walk to the city food pantry 14 blocks below my house, so I opt to take the bus to Towson. And I fare very well. I continue to practice gratefulness for the things that do work. Today, C. was at register at Bagelo, so gave me my coffee for free. The bus driver must have been behind schedule so he rushed us on and told us not to pay our fare. So far I've "saved" $2.10. There is a wonderfully friendly (very very unusual) man sitting next to me in the shelter, from Honduras, so I get to practice my Spanish.

I get to the Emergency Assistance Center and they give me 20 in food Credit for Giant, a 125 dollar voucher for my utilities and about 30 dollars worth of food.

Today is partly cloudy and about 70 degrees. I find someone to hitchike to the University with after only 5 minutes of asking people.

(I've had most of my traumatic bus experiences on the southbound bus)


So, for this moment, I have to say, a lot of luck came my way today.

No comments: