Thursday, May 22, 2008

posting 2/ THE EVENTS OF MAY 20/"conditions getting worse and worse at la pew"

THE EVENTS OF MAY 20

8:45 A.M. - BANG, BANG, BANG. (Someone is banging at my door. Typically maintenance will just keep banging until you get to the door) By the time I get to the door nobody is there. I've only been awake for a minute or so. I still have the chain on. I yell down the hall. "WERE YOU KNOCKING AT MY DOOR?! no response. "WERE YOU KNOCKING AT MY DOOR?!" I yell again. My neighbor yelled: "YES, eLANA, THEY WERE KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR!"

Two contractors aproach my door. "We're here to work!"

E-"What are you going to be doing? We weren't notified or given a day!"

group 1 of contractors-"YOU WEREN'T?! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED!"

e-"wELL, THEY ARE FRICKIN MORONS, AND THEY DON'T TELL US ANYTHING"

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO BE DOING TODAY?

GROUP 1-"REPLACE CUPBOARDS, COUNTERS, VANITY, TURN OFF WATER"

e-oH BOY. WELL THEN I NEED 1/2 HOUR TO GET A BATH AND GET EVERYTHING OUT OF THE SINK.

GROUP 1-ALRIGHT. HE HEADS FOR MY BEDROOM!

e-WHOA!WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"

The contractor laughs a little bit embarassed. "I'm sorry maam. I was just going to go see if anything is blocking your bedroom closet door. Is it?

E-"Yes, but I'll move it."

CONTRACTOR 1-O.K. JUST COME AND GET US WHEN YOU ARE READY"

I take my shower, get the dishes out of the sink and get my clothes on. BANG BANG BANG. SHIT. THERE GOES MY DOOR AGAIN.

I RUN TO THE DOOR.

GROUP 2 CONTRACTORS (THERE ARE 2 OF THEM)-"YOU READY, WE HERE TO DO YO FLOS"

E-"THE WHITE GUYS JUST TOLD ME TO COME AND GET THEM WHEN I'M READY!"

aBOUT 9:15: GROUP 2-"YOU NOT READY?!" (THE ONE IS VISIBLY FRUSTRATED)

e-"Well, management didn't tell me in advance which is really disrespectful, I only need like 5 more minutes"

group 2-(He begins to soften) "Sho is disrespectful. O.k. we can give you the 5 more minutes"

E-"Thank you"

Project Supervisor comes to my door. "EVERYTHING O.K.? He asks, concerned. I ROLL MY EYES, BUT SMILE, BECAUSE I KNOW IT'S NOT HIS FAULT. i TELL HIM THAT MANAGEMENT DIDN'T INFORM US OF A DAY. "YOU WERE STANDING RIGHT THERE AT THE MEETING NEXT TO THE MANAGER WHEN I ASKED HER WHAT DAY. AND SHE REPLIED "SHE DIDN'T KNOW"

SUPE-Looks down at his notebook. "Here it is right here. apt. 123 May 20. I gave G. the notice and she was supposed to notify you."

E-(Hmmm, I'm thinking, this notice might have been stolen too) "Oh well, that's the way they do business around here"

SUPE-"i'M SORRY"

It's about 9:40 a.m. Nobody has come back. I hear the black contractors yell to the white contractors: "She not ready!"

group 1-"BUT SHE SAID THAT SHE WAS!"

e-I'M READY! I YELLED DOWN THE HALL, CERTAIN THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT ME.

GROUP 1-JUST A MISCOMMUNICATION" he told me.

E-"I'm USED TO IT"



5 minutes passes and I tell group one that I'm ready.

No comments: