Thursday, May 8, 2008

"The Spirit is willing, the flesh is weak"

I cannot tell a lie. I am physically, psychologically and emotionally exhausted. Remember the lyric "sleep is the only refuge that she gets" (smile, cuz she's a lady) anyhow, I often wonder if I have to die to get the rest and recovery that i need, as I have never lived in a place quiet enough to sleep since the early 70's. Between the urban noise outside and inside my building, the crime, the poverty, I desperately need to recover in a quiet place, but I don't know of any quiet places to recover for the poor.

I did a lot of research (internet) to see if such places exist, but they don't seem to. There are ashrams, but I'm not interested in the religious component. (those kinds of places where they want you up at 5 am, kind of defeats the purpose) Again, no wonder so many poor people escape their lives thru drugs and alcohol.

Now, elavil helps me to catch up on my sleep occasionally, but I had a severe reaction to it the other day so I can't rely on it anymore.

Anyhow, I also overcame a huge fear a few days ago. The fear of long distance highway driving alone. But I made it in one piece. Only stayed 1 day, 2 nights. Hotel was 5x noisier than home, sat right on a highway, so i didnt sleep even 5 minutes. Went to Northern New Jersey, will explain in a future blog.

I'm composing that piece by hand before posting it here at my blogsite. So, keep your eyes open. I'm at the library now because I had to get away from the construction noises coming from the apt. above me. A daily occurence. Called cops, but they never do anything.

By the way, the very first editorial I ever wrote was on how noise pollution severely impacts my life. It came out in the Baltimore City Paper in 2001.

No comments: