Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Day 13 car ownership and it still hasn't been repaired properly"

The stress of this is all consuming. I cannot go back to work until I have a car I can count on.

Remember the dealership told me as long as I come early in the morning, I can drop the car off (and they will send it to some mechanic for repair) The don't comprehend what problem I'm having with the ignition as it is intermittent, and they haven't experienced it directly. But I'm a very clear communicator and that should be enough.

I don't have a ride to the dealership so I'm prepared to waste another day if I have to, just get the damn job done and get it done right already. The ABS lights and battery lights have been coming on and staying on for long periods. Friday the 24th, I arrive at the dealership before 9 a.m. as requested. The clerk tells me that he doesn't recommend that I leave the car on a friday as I might be without it allweekend, as the mechanic may have to order a part.

Elana (E)-"This is true, but even if I do have it over the weekend there is no chance it won't leave me stranded"

The clerk (dealer, 2 of them have the name tom, and there are 4 male workers there one is the owner) looks at me puzzled still unsure of how this ignition problem could leave me stranded.

Tom-"O.K. It's up to you on whether you want to come back on Monday or not"

E-"Alright, I'll come back on Monday, early in the morning." (I have no reason to believe this car to be a lemon, by the way)

Saturday, Oct. 25

I leave the house around one in the afternoon with a list of things I want to do. I start up the car after a few ignition tries, and then go to pull the car out my parking lot. I hear a loud banging when I put my foot on the brake, and feel a loud banging under my foot. I'm terrified, so I leave the car parked all weekend. I can't take a chance with something brake related. The dealership is closed on weekends, so indeed I'm without the car for the weekend.

Monday, instead of my driving the car to the dealer as I said I would do I'm forced to call them up and ask for a tow.

Tom-"Are you absolutely sure this car can't be driven. We don't have 75 dollars to just throw away on towing a car. If you're wrong about the tow, do you plan to pay the 75?" "Have you attempted to drive the car on the main road?"

E-"Of course not, I'm terrified to drive it" (If I drive this car and total it, or kill myself or someone else, then who is liable I reason)

Tom-"Our tow driver won't be available until after noon. So we'll call you back around that time."

It's 10 a.m. and my phone rings. "It's tom, and I"m downstairs by your car can you meet me?"

E-"Yes, I'll be right down."

I get down there and Tom and Mike are there. Tom asked if he could have that list again. He said I know you've already made a list of problems but could you make it again. (I'm very worried that they aren't going to communicate the problems clearly to the mechanic, and my fears came true) I make the list again

-can always get key out, or key turned in ignition
abs and battery light are on and off intermittently
brakes are banging

Tom-"We'll call you in a few hours"

E-(Does that mean it will be done in a few hours I wonder?)

It's 10/26 1 p.m. and no one has called me yet. Have they repo-ed the car I wonder? You know my luck, don't you readers? I call the shop and get voice mail. I leave a message

This is E. Snyder, and I'm wondering if the car will be ready today, and whether or not you'll be bringing it to me or if I have to go get it.

They called me back at 3, and said that it's ready, but there is no time for me to get a cabback to the shop. So, I tell them I'll come and get it the next morning. They give me the address where I am to go. I realize that is the mechanic I used to use when I had my Sable. That at least is a good thing.

So, It's 10/29, and I take a cab to the mechanic. Iask the mechanic: "So you got the ignition problem fixed?"

Nate-"What ignition problem?!"

E-"The one they brought it in for. I can't always get the car started or get the key out"

Nate-"YOU JUST HAVE TO JIGGLE IT PROBABLY!"

e (I am really angry about being jerked around now) I shouldn't have to jiggle it, and plus, sometimes it gets me more than 10 tries to get it turned over"

Nate-10?!

E-Yes!

Nate-"O.K. take it to get some keys made and see if that works"

E-"I've made 2 trips to HOme depot like the dealership told me to, and they have not made a key that fits yet."

Nate-"Home depot? why would you go there? You don't go to home depot! You go to the chevy dealership!"

end part 1
"

No comments: