Thursday, October 9, 2008

"What would Suzie do?"

Well, I've been car shopping for 27 months now. Car and safe home shopping are something I do 7 days a week. Nearly every conversation I have, I end up mentioning that I need a car. One day I'll tell you about all the offers I've had over the last 27 months for a car that didn't come thru.

In the past few days I've looked into police auctions, ebay, dealerships, craigs list, private owners and I've even called up people who told me a long time ago to contact them if I ever come up with any money. So, I called Les, from the chatline, who gave me his # 11 months ago and told me to call him if I ever come up with 500 bucks. So I called him today and he said he sold both auto dealerships that he had. And another guy from the chatline started a used auto store in march, so i looked up that #, and that's gone out of business too. I tried to join ebay, but they gave me a confirmation # that I had to type back to them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they said "that isn't the # we gave you, therefore we can't give you a membership. And I called about 5 dealers and asked them if they have anything on their lot for 1700? Most said no. One said he had an "85 volvo for 1500" It terrifies me to drive older cars, but since I don't have good credit I'll never qualify for an auto loan I figured. I sure don't want a 23 year old car.

When I called that particular dealer, I was looking at an ad that said "cars under $300" I told him which ad I was calling about and he screamed "that is not what that ad was supposed to say, that ad was supposed to say $3000, and they haven't corrected it"

So, once he said that he told me about the volvo. Then he said, "I'm busy can I call you back" I said, well when you call me back, leave a message on my machine telling me the cars that you have for under 2k. So, he leaves a message on my machine listing 2 cars that are "more than you want to spend" and then, he gave a 500 dollar higher price then before for the volvo, forgetting that he had already quoted 1500. I thought, this guy sounds like bad news.

Today, someone on the chatline said that they called up their old mechanic to see if they had anything for sale. I thought that's a good idea, as I do trust my last mechanic.

Today I called him (Nate my last mechanic) and asked him if he knows where I can get something for 1700. He said, anything under 3k is going to be a piece of junk that you'll have to keep dumping money into. I explained that I can't pass a credit check. He said, "can you do payments of 100 to 200 a month on something?"

"Well, I said, I don't know if you've ever heard of Suzie Orman, but she's a financial guru, and she would advise me against "making payments" since I don't have work.

N-"I've never heard of Suzie, what do you mean don't make payments since you don't have work?

E-"Well, I'm not employed"

E-"My annual earnings are only 7k"

N-"MMm. then you can't afford any payments can you?"

E-"Suzie would advise against it, but I'll consider it"

N-"Doesn't most of your money go to rent?"

E-"NO, I only pay 100 a month for rent"

N-"I have an idea for you, give me a night to think and brainstorm and call me in the morning. I think I have a car for you.................................."

No comments: