Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"All in A day's work"

journal entry from 10/15/94 

Authors Note-I'm staying in a group house with 1 woman and 4 men. 3 of the men are abusive, and I'm living intimately with domestic violence. In a few weeks I'll make my escape in the middle of the night and move out.

Lafayette, Indiana (Another day of job hunting)

I started out the morning making job calls. Called group Homes for Children and they said they had already filled their position. Called Boyer Adia temp. services and they said they didn't have any work for me. (I have no car) They told me to call back later in the day but I couldn't because I was either on the bus or in the Payless grocery store interview.

I left the house at 1035 a.m. to go to the downtown bus terminus. I arrived at 11:05 just to find out that the South Street bus doesn't leave until 11:45 a.m. for Cracker Barrel restaurant. (I'm applying for dishwasher and cashier) Then I found out that this bus doesn't even go to Cracker Barrel. By that time I missed the 11:15 bus and had to wait around for the 11:45 bus.

I decided to go in person to Westminster Village to fill out the application for secretary. At 12:10 I completed that task. I had to go back out and wait for the bus again so I can go to Kelly temporary agency and taking the assessment of skills test. They want me there by 1 p.m. The bus didn't come until 12:30. It rode all around West Lafayette and didn't arrive downtown until 1:10. The bus I'd have to get on to go to Kellly services wasn't going to leave until 1:45 which would have gotten me there by about 2:10.

So I decided to get on the bus that will take me to HOme Hospital where I am required to take the drug test for Olsten temporary services, specifically Wasbash Industries/Subaru Isuzu.

I arrived at Home Hospital at 1:30 which was 1/2 hour early. I was very hungry. I went to the cafeteria but it had closed at 1 p.m. I didn't have cash for a vending machine so I had to walk for 1/2 hour to get to Main Street. I walked into a restaurant (Pop's) to see if they take checks. They don't. I had to walk to Village Pantry (like a 7-11) because they were the only place within walking distance that would take my food stamps.

I got a cheeseburger and tried to heat it up but the microwave was broken. After about 15 minutes the manager managed to "repair" the microwave.  My food now heated I discover that the only place to dine is outside sitting on the ground across the street. It's now 2:15. I have a 4 p.m. appt. to interview at Payless grocery store.

I was worried that if I walk back to the lab to do the drug testing I'll miss my interview at Payless. Nevertheless I decide to walk back to the lab to find out how long it will take.

I went in and found out that I'd have to pee in a cup with a woman watching me. I try but i am unsuccessful.   So I waited in the reception area until I was ready to try to pee again. I talked and joked with other guys in the waiting room as we waited for our turn at this degrading task.

One guy had been there for more than an hour and he just foud that he could not pee with people watching. He went on to say that if they'd bring in a pretty girl:

 "she can watch me grow!"

 He then called out at a  female tech.........

"Don't forget to put the block on that so they don't find the cocaine!" She was not amused.

I had to pee in front of 2 women and I still didn't produce enough. They said they'd try to send it in for inspection but they didn't know if it would be enough urine or not.

I left there and got on the bus for Tippecanoe Mall's Payless interview. While I was at the mall I decided to apply at some of the other stores in the mall. The Payless interview went well but she said she didn't know how long it would take for the hiring staff to make their decision.

I have 20 dollars in food stamps and I have to make them last until October 12th. So I figured I better also apply at Hallmark and "Dollar Time" stores.

The drug testing results go to Olsten by 4 p.m. on Thursday. If I don't have a job by then I can start working at the factory, Wabash National on Friday. I don't think I'll have the strength for it though I'm hoping I'll get another job offer by then.

Either way I have to go to Wabash National's job orientation by 8:15 tomorrow morning. This means I'd have to be downtown by 7:45 a.m. (i do not know what time i should arrive at the bus stop)   Where am I supposed to stand to catch that bus? On the East side? the west side?

Anyway I took the bus home from the mall and got out at Grant and State street. I can't afford to eat out, I guess I'll have to go "home" if I want to eat. But if I go home I have to face my abusive roomates. I decided to go to Village Pantry for dinner again, then I walked to bible study.

Got home and went to my room. Someone broke into my bedroom. The door's lock has been broken. This gives me a creepy feeling. I just can't understand what  or why my roomates would want to steal from me.

I must get up very early for the Olsten orientation and possible clerical testing. I'm on the phone and Bernie (one of the housemates) is screaming at the top of his lungs and bashing on my bedroom door. What an asshole. What assholes they all are. Thank goodness Bernie's bedroom isn't adjacent to mine.

As you can see: "Poor people are just lazy"

No comments: