Thursday, October 29, 2009

"That was like "pulling teeth"

I've been waiting, and aggressively trying to get a dental appt. for almost 6 years. The compliment I hear most is about my smile. But I've been worried sick about my advanced periodontitis. I saw an ad in a newspaper offering free consults. When I called the office they said in essence, "oh, we didn't mean for that to apply to u" So, I asked to speak to the manager. When I complained about false advertising she said: "When can u come in?!"

I had my appt. today. I was thrilled and surprised at how well the receptionists treated me. I am also thrilled to report that the dentist spent 1/2 hour with me. He said that he really is not very worried and that I am not going to lose any teeth! I was terrified! I told him that "People say EVERYTHING  about themselves when they smile" He said, "That's a good point, I never really thought if it like that before"

Anyhow, a program of the welfare office is going to pay for my intial exam and x rays. This may sound so mundane to well to do people. But I went most of my life taking stellar care of my teeth, with regular appt. and braces.

I had been having a recurring nightmare for years that all of my teeth fall out. Hopefully I'll stop having that nightmare. Even though the social service office isn't promising they'll help with anything beyond the first appt, I am thrilled to have the "dental ball finally rolling!"

No comments: