Thursday, October 22, 2009

"The Carroll County Difference"

I am sleeping through the night for the first time in 35 years. In the last 35 year period, I sleep anywhere from zero to 4 hours a night; and I've been known to be awake for weeks. (no, I'm not bipolar) But things like no heat in most of the places I lived, no airconditioning in apts that were averaging 120 degrees (city rowhouses) in the summer, noise pollution and the constant fear at La Pew that someone would kick the door down meant that I don't sleep.

But now I know in my heart that no one is going to kick that door down once I go to sleep. I can run into a 7-11 and leave my purse on the seat and nobody is going to smash my car window to get it. I can walk thru my apt. parking lot after dark without worrying about getting raped or robbed. I have a wonderful intelligent kind nurse practitioner who really listens to me. I have an auto mechanic who does occasional minor repairs for free because he knows I'm struggling. A small non profit is helping me with food and auto expenses. A program of the carroll county welfare office helps with occasional car repairs and such if they see you have a proactive personality.

Customers in grocery stores ALWAYS asks me if I'd like to go in front of them in line since I have so few items.

I can't say I'm happy in part because I don't make enough money to have a normal life, but I'm grateful every day for these small things that are making a world of difference for me.

No comments: