Thursday, July 1, 2010

"Manhattan vs. Baltimore"

As you know I just went to Manhattan for the first time since I was 7. (1970) I don't remember the 1970 trip but I know I was there as I recall getting a souvenir of the empire state bldg.

 Overall I like NYC alot. Here's my compare/contrast lists for Baltimore vs. manhattan

Similarities between the 2 cities:

bad pollution, exhaust fumes
lots of concrete
cold people, pretty rude
good arts and culture scene
poor services for the disabled/handicapped.  There wasn't even an elevator in Port Authority!

 I asked 2 employees for the whereabouts of an elevator and they both pointed me to the escalator!  No one seems to know the difference between an elevator and an escalator!  All the stair climbing did a real # on my knees. I really struggled with steps since I'm not used to them.  Walking steps reminded me that I do indeed have osteoarthritis of the knees, which is a diagnosis I tend to forget about.


Ways that the cities differ:

Manhattan has amazing ethnic diversity. I actually had a tough time finding folks in Manhattan or in Jersey who spoke English and I rarely heard a traditional New York accent.

in New York and in New Jersey,  I heard more Spanish then English

In Manhattan I felt safe even after dark

Manhattan is shockingly expensive with restaurant food marked up 3 to 4 x what it might sell for in Baltimore. Manhattan. hotels were about 4x higher then Baltimore hotels.  (I did not pay for this trip out of my own disablility check, it would have been impossible)

Manhattan streets don't hold the angry vibe that Baltimore street do. Yes, there were rude people but there was no noticeable racism.

There were alot of slender / fit people in Manhattan. Of course people are there from all over the world and America is the fattest of countries.

I picked up a liberal independent newspaper for free and read of the same lack of affordable housing there as here. They face the same federal gov't housing shortage as most u.s. cities do.

The last day and a half,  I was on my own in Manhattan. I didn't feel as stigmatized eating alone in restaurants as I do in Baltimore  because singles actually do dine alone and go around alone in Manhattan. Where as in Balto. and Carroll County I rarely see anybody dine alone even in Mc Donalds and Wendy's!

My first day in Manhattan I thought, I could really love this place! (until October when it gets cold)  But by day 3 I felt overwhelmed by the noise and lack of green. There's still so much more I need to see. So much more. But first I have to get this summons thing worked out with Mega bus.....................

I didn't find any residential housing  in Manhattan, although I surmise that it does indeed exist.

Manhattan is taking huge precautions against terrorism. But I wonder if they really feel in control. I mean this guy who tried to detonate the bomb, came so close to succeeding. And it's not like they check our bags at the train and such. I really don't know how they can really have  control of the issue, yet there were police doing drills everywhere. That was different.

No comments: