Thursday, April 12, 2007

"Noise Pollution/At the bookstore"

I'm at "home" and I'm attempting to talk on the phone. In the background there is the sound of an electric saw coming from the back yard and at the same time the woman in the apt. above me is hammering. Noise pollution has seriously affected my health and my sleep for most of my life.



It is not unusual for me to have to leave my apt. with the sole attempt of finding a quiet place elsewhere.

AT THE BOOKSTORE:

I've decided to buy this month's issue of "Baltimore"  "BEST PLACES TO LIVE."

  I love to read those kinds of listings as part of my quest to find the perfect place to live.

But first I walk up to the counter and ask the clerk: "Does this store carry "Measure of a Man?" by Sidney Poitier? Yes, she said, but we ran out.   Would you like me to call you when our next shipment comes in?

 Yes, I responded, "I've already read half of it, since Oprah recommended it. On another note,  did you know that  Baltimore magazine is rating the "best" places to live within Baltimore?  Baltimore isn't right for me and I am always looking for a better place to live!" I pick up the magazine and hand her my debit card.

CLERK-"Elana Snyder" she said out loud, reading the name off of my card.   Did you ever date a man with the last name of Duchane?"

ME-"Yes, for 6 years. We were engaged!"

CLERK-"Well, I was very close friends with his brother!"

The clerk and I chat for about a half hour.   It turns out that we first  met in the late 80's. We have fun catching up. She non-chalantly said: "Yes, you know that time we visited you and your boyfriend in Indiana, right?!

"You did?!" "Wow! I don't even remember that!"

I believe this familiarity is why so many never leave the place of their birth or rearing. One of my favorite sayings about life in Baltimore is this:

"You know what I love about Baltimore? That I know everybody. You know what I hate about Baltimore?! That I know everybody!"

No comments: