Wednesday, April 18, 2007

VA TECH AND GUN VIOLENCE IN AMERICA

My initial reaction to hearing the  news was "detachment" of sorts.

 I thought  about the big picture. I don't claim to know the current statistics but what I do know is this. There isn't a day that I don't fear being murdered either on the street or in my home. I think about and I am aware of guns almost constantly. That wouldn't be the case If I made enough money to own a car therefore enabling me to select a "safe" neighborhood to live in.

 And it wouldn't be the case if I didn't have to walk Baltimore's streets, wait on her bus stops and ride her buses. So, initially I thought, o.k. the media gives lots of attention to gun violence when more than one person in a day is murdered.

 But in places like Baltimore, where there are 1 to 4 murders a day, and probably hundreds of muggings per day, the media barely covers it.

 So initially I told myself that I wasn't going to watch too much coverage of VA tech. As it turns out, I've watched about 6 hours worth of coverage. It's been very interesting and at this point, I am processing it at a more emotional level. Because now, I've seen the faces, I know the names and a little bit about their lives. And I feel very sad.

 But ya know, I still think Blacksburg would be a fabulous place to live, because it's not a place where one has to continuously watch their back. And VA tech will once again be an amazing, peaceful, beautiful respite from our murderous society. I wonder if our gun control laws will toughen up? I guess it's rather unlikely. And those of us in urban America will continue to have to constantly watch our backs.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I hope you don't want to make card illegal because they kill far more people than guns. Perhaps if the students were armed, the killer would have been stopped immediately. We can't expect the police to be everywhere, all the time, but we can expect armed citizens to be everywhere, all the time.
Go to http://getyourphones.com and I will give you a free camera phone, bluetooth wireless headset, and on some of the phones a $50 cash rebate. No gimmicks and nothing to buy. Just activate the phone with the carrier of your choice.
Have a nice day
floyd@hostiam.com

elana r. snyder said...

how did you learn of my website? i can't think of anyone I know named floyd.