Friday, April 13, 2007

"We have a possible 911"

Dear Friends,

My acquaintance from Borders books told me a few months ago, "you couldn't pay me to use Baltimore's public transit again.  The most dangerous is the #8 which travels along York Road."

And this young woman with alot of street smarts like me, is the person who influenced me to stop using public transit after dark. This of course means no night life whatsoever. But it's worth it if this is what I have to do to keep myself alive in this murderous city.

Today I only had to ride the #8 bus 2 miles one way,  to the public library. In that 2 miles we had one relatively minor incident (pretty common) a man who was standing lost his balance and fell into a young woman on a cell phone.   She was angry that he lost his balance but not  the least bit concerned for his well being.   Well, this my friends is the Baltimore way. And perhaps even, the American way, but Balto. is what I know best.

I was riding a double decker bus with about 50 people on it. Counting the number of passengers on a bus can be hard to assess because you don't want anyone to catch you "looking at them" as that too, will probably make them angry.

 In incident # 2 a man who is about 50 years old and 250 pounds falls to the floor face down

. I quickly look around and  cannot believe that no one has asked him if he is o.k.,  or if he needs help getting up. I yell to the driver "We have a possible 9-1-1" I then walk over to the man , ask him if he is o.k. and if he needs help getting up. Still there is complete apathy from the passengers and I'm wondering where I'd find the strength to even pull him off of the floor! He says he's o.k. and doesn't want help getting up. He does get up on his own, and then for the rest of the bus ride he says "damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!"

I hear 2 women making fun of me by repeating the phrase:  "possible 911" and then laughing.  It is also very common for African American women to ridicule white women mostly because they were born "white"

No comments: