Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Good News"

Last November I had the full work up at a neurologist for pain, numbness, and pins and needles in all 4 limbs. I wondered if I had multiple sclerosis, or if my symptoms were a wheelchair sentence. Today I got the results of the tests. "Mild" neuropathy.

Dr. M. made it clear that the word "mild" is not to diminish the fact that you are feeling alot of pain. But she said that people like me are much better off than the people where the numbness is their main problem. It's the people who stumble because they can't feel their feet that may end up in a wheelchair. There is no cure for neuropathy per se, just treatments for pain.

I asked her if she can tell whether or not I have multiple sclerosis. She said that is diagnosed by an MRI of the brain. I told her I had that MRI done a while back because of the frequent headaches I was having, and the MRI showed no problems. She said then you have nothing to worry about.

Neurontin and Topomax are popular for treating nerve pain. But I"m already on oxycodone and cymbalta for nerve and fibromyalgia pain neither of which seem to be helping. (The oxycodone sedates me but doesn't reduce my pain. My friend a pharmacist, is surprised that the oxy. hasn't reduced my pain) I will talk to my primary care doc. next week and tell him about the neurologists findings and recommendations for pain control and see what he steps he decides to take next.

I am thrilled that I no longer have to worry about wheelchairs!

1 comment:

Ghosty said...

Hey you ... I have two friends with MS, it is very good news indeed it's not on your horizon!