Thursday, September 25, 2008

"I love an academic environment"

And I love fall. I've got a ridiculous amount of time on my hands so I've been keeping my eyes open to the Towson University website and university newspaper for things to do on campus. I've got to try to stay out of my apt. as much as possible.

Along my website theme of "everything is broken" here is a synopsis of what I've done over the last week and what went wrong.

I attended the university's first meeting of their mental health association with my student friend Allison. The room was over 100 degrees so everyone had to sit on the floor in the hallway of the union. We could barely hear a word said because of competing noise by a large student event a few doors down. Other than that it's a good organization that supports students with depression, homesickness and educations on mental illness.

The next night I attended movie night. There was little sound because some student stole the very expensive audio system that was needed to make the event a success. The event coordinator said she didn't understand the logic of the theft since the sound system can't be converted for home use. But I understand the logic. Baltimoreans love to destroy, vandalize and wreck anything that is going to make someone's life better. (even their own)

Then CASA de Baltimore put on an event called: "The changing face of immigration" Although interesting the speaker was 40 minutes late! CASA helps Latinos with worker rights and helps day laborers to get the wages that they deserve. About 80 students in the audience had to leave before the event even started due to the late event start. I assume the kids had to go to class. The event coordinator said that "You understand that she's late because of traffic!" Well, like I always say, that's a very lousy excuse.

Tonight I heard Cedric Jennings speak about his life and biography entitled: "A Hope in the Unseen" He was a fabulous speaker. Has a masters in social worker from University of Michigan grew up in the projects of D.C. This was the best event I've been to in the last week, but he also was 40 minutes late for his own event! Again the event coordinator said that he was running "5 to 8 minutes late due to rain!"

This stuff is very frustrating to a person like me who is early for everything and doesn't even have a car. You aren't late because it's raining. You're late because you have no idea how to plan your time.

Tonight I'll go to the University's open mic night but I don't plan to sing since I haven't performed at an open mike in 3 years. I'll just sit back and listen.

No comments: