Monday, April 27, 2009

"Baltimore Sun 4/27/09/"Few Choices for the Homeless"

The Hannah More shelter gets 500 calls a month for shelther. Demand for shelter has tripled in the past 10 years.

The baltimore county "identified" homeless population grew to 6300 in 2008, up 800 from '07. 70% were women and children.

They wouldn't have identified me as homeless. I was the "invisible" homeless.

The problem is statewide, nationwide, even international says Jeff Singer from Health Care for the HOmeless.

I met Jeff Singer a few times, in fact I know all of the people mentioned in this article. I interviewed for a social work job at Health Care for the HOmeless and I also went there for health care. My experience going there as a patient was pretty bad, and I documented it in an older journal.

Quigg, a manager of 3 Baltimore shelters says: "Minimum wage earners can afford 341 a month rent in the county, but the average 2 bedroom unit rents for 1013 a month.

Additionally, when I saw Quigg on MOnday at the annual rally for the homeless he stated that a min. wage worker would have to work something to the effect of 155 hours a week to afford rent in Baltimore county.

Kimberly Edmonds has received a housing voucher to help her pay her rent, but has yet to find a landlord who will accept the voucher.

I did not know about this, because I was supposed to have received the voucher twice in the last 10 years but due to gov't screw up I never got it.

Last monday Edmonds spoke in front of the county council

I saw that


"I thank the county for having someplace for my son and me" Other than that, we would be living in my car. Thank you for the things you will be doing. Everyone can do something to help someone who is homeless"


No comments: