Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Beautiful terror/ nature's streetlamps!

What a night! I left Baltimore County @8:50 p.m. I got in the car and heard the following warning. Thunderstorm watch in effect until 9:30 p.m. Storm will start in Manchester MD and work it's way south. Stay away from windows this storm may produce winds as high as 60 m.p.h.

It's not raining but the air feels like a vat of glue, just disgusting, and there's been heat lightning for at least an hour with regular flashing on and off of lights. I do not know how to turn on the inside light of my car. It hits me that the announcer said "stay away from windows" well oh shit, because i think this windshield counts as a window. My visibility is already poor because of vandalism, and generally I can't drive after dark if there's any precip.

The winds are picking up and my trip starts out with swirling leaves, and drizzling which turned into blinding rain, tree braches are hitting my car and I feel a huge thud under my car. I slow to about 10 mph and try to find my cell phone incase the worst happens.

It is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Because rain and leaves and light flashes it's all so pretty but the roadways are filling with debris. Whadya know my battery light has come on.

I call the agent and ask if it's safe for me to go another few miles with the light on. The car begins dragging and fighting me. I remember to turn off the defroster as it might pull juice from the battery.

I specifically ask the agent if my car might catch fire if i drive it. He said I'm not allowed to give you advice it would be against the company rules, but if you go dead then call us and we'll come out and give you a jump.

It took me 45 min to get home and all the complex lights are out all apt lights are out. I have no wrking flashlight cept the mini one on my keychain! I have one candle. I begin to worry about my food spoiling and wonder if I'll be days without power. It feels even scarier to be here on nights like this. My complex like much of America has very poor lighting . Had I not had the flashlight I wouldn't have been able to find my way to my apt door everyting is pitch black.

Power is restored by about 10:45 p.m. and I've survived yet another Carroll County storm.

No comments: