Thursday, August 19, 2010

I was a little bit "high" on Wednesday

For many people/writers this wouldn't feel like a big deal at all if it happened to them. But for me it was very exciting. Because I finally got to see my letter to the editor in an actual magazine as opposed to just a newspaper.

P. Pathways chose 6 letters to publish. They put the first letter and the last letter (mine) in very large font and double spaced it. So my letter took up 3/4 of an 8 by 11 page. Normally letters to editors are not alloted that much space, so that was exciting as well.

I have been unable to find the letters online, I had to wait and pick up a copy at my neurologists office. As I said in an earlier blog, this is the first time I've ever been published on the subject of living with chronic pain. So that was a milestone as well..................

About 50% of the time, I look back at a blog and I think "Elana, you disclosed too much" But they say that best selling non fiction books got there because the author "went deep"

There is a saying in memoir writing, "GO DEEP" "WRITE STUFF THAT MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE" "PUSH THE BOUNDARIES OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE" I think it's fair to say that I pushed my boundaries a bit with this letter!

No comments: