Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Homeless to Harvard" the documentary

During one of my homeless episodes in 03 I sat in the lafayette library and compiled a list of books and movies on homeless women.

I finally got to see it today. "From Homeless to Harvard" WOW! Fabulous. And it turns out that one of my fave actresses plays Liz, her name is of course Ellen Page.

I think I'm a lot like Liz. I don't know how to write to authors but I better learn, as I gotta write to her. Did you see her story on Lifetime years ago?

The only addictions I saw in my parents home (saw that is) were the t.v. and the cigarettes. That part is a little different from the way Liz grew up. I did as a child have some of my needs met. Certainly more then she did. I never went hungry and my family were never homeless.

But that opening scene in the docu. where the t.v. is the backdrop for all the fighting and chaos, now that i could relate to instantly. Because the dad drowns out everything and every one in his apt. for the t.v. show Jeopardy. In my apt. it was Price is Right. But in my home growing up the t.v. was on 24 hours a day. I was not allowed to pick the show, unless I was willing to watch alone in my bedroom.

Here's a scene in the movie that resonated with me. I always as a child and as an adult loved the written word. But my parents couldn't have cared less about reading or anything else it seemed. I remember at age 8 going to my mother and saying MOMMY MOMMY I CAN SPELL ENCYCLOPAEDIA! Uh Huh. Who cares was the general attitude I got in response. In real life Liz learned about life by studying the Encyclopaedia, and I as an only child did the same thing!

Synchronistically I found something yesterday that I didn't even remember that I had. I found my certificate that I had made the Dean's List at Catonsville Community College. Liz got great grades in school even tho' she only went to school to take the tests.

to be continued

No comments: