Thursday, February 26, 2009

"The Oprah Show / part 2/ from middle class to homeless"

The Oprah Show visits Lisa Ling's hometown of Sacramento. Ling is blown away at what's going on in her hometown. There are about 1,200 people living in the "tent city" that Ling visits. Tent cities are popping up all over America. (I know of at least one in Baltimore but have never seen it with my own eyes, just photos) Some examples of cities with "tent cities" are Nashville, Seattle, and Tampa. These are a result of the homeless shelters being filled to capacity.

Personally, I was never able to get into a homeless shelter. In 95 for example, I tried to get into the Hannah More homeless shelter in Reisterstown, MD. The receptionist told me there were no beds. What I didn't know until about 04, is that my biological grandmother on my mother's side, (who I only met once and is deceased now) had a prominent role in keeping the center going for many many years. This was before it became a homeless shelter.

The question was presented, (on this show) where the homeless go when they can't get into a shelter?

their car
with friends
with family
tent cities
the street

Ling interviews Tammy and her husband at the Sac. tent city where she is visiting. Tammy says she had an apt, a car but no savings. Tammy is actively seeking work. She's trained as a cashier but can't even get cashier work.

Ling-"What do you miss most since falling homeless?"
Tammy-"A bathroom. I miss doing my makeup, I miss looking like a girl. I feel embarrassed by my appearance" (These are always paraphrases, I do the best I can to remember what the guests said, but I don't tape record I just take written notes when I watch t.v.)

Jim-(a widower) "It's like learning how to live all over again" Jim has to walk 3 miles just to buy a bottle of water.

Oprah says she is shocked that people are living this way. Many cities are considering "legalizing" tent cities because currently they are illegal.

THE STUFF LEFT BEHIND IN FORECLOSED HOMES

Personally, I've had 79 addresses. Nearly every time I have to leave stuff behind. There are many reasons why that is. That subject is addressed in this show.

One of the workers who is assigned to cleaning out the foreclosed homes wondered aloud: "What would I leave behind if this happend to me?" He held up a teddy bear. He said: "I wonder if this bear was some kid's best friend?"

Why are all of these belongings from these homes going to landfills as opposed to charities? The charities can't keep up. The homes are closing so fast the charities literally have no room, no ability to keep up with the volume of stuff.

FACING EVICTION

598,000 Americans lost their jobs in Jan. 2009. Rosley, 32, was earning 70,000 a year. Now she has to go to the very food bank that she used to donate to. R. is "overqualified" for everything she sees listed at the job resource center. R.'s partner is working "round the clock." One of the positions she applied for yesterday had over 400 applicants.

NORMA AND MICHAEL

(A couple in their late 50's) Had a 6 figure income. When they lost their house they had to move into their office. (I can't recall what his position was) They have to go to the gym to shower. I assume M. has a membership because he actually works out when he's there.

M-"Don't hurt yourself just because you lost your house. It's just a material thing." (I assume he means don't commit suicide)

Oprah-"Do you find that you don't need as much stuff as you thought you did?"

M-"Yes"

A COUPLES LAST DITCH EFFORT TO SAVE THEIR HOME

They're using a service that goes something to the effect of

NATIONAL HOME SHARING RESOURCE CENTER

This is nothing new to me. I've attempted to use the St. Ambrose Homesharing program in Baltimore, but I was unable to find a match. Currently the homeowners want at least 400 a month in rent which I currently can't afford.

This couple have a large house and are renting to , I think, 2 girls. They've become like one big happy family. The couple are considering renting another room to. Whatever they have to do so they don't lose their house.

I don't recall Ling interviewing any singles. Homelessness is even tougher when you face it alone, in my experience.

No comments: