Friday, August 31, 2012

"Good touch/Bad touch"

When I was in grade school, the children were not given any kind of education regarding good touch bad touch.  But roughly in the early 80's I began seeing the little dolls educators would use to train children on where it is and where it is not o.k. for others to touch you.  Rape and molestation prevention.

I was thinking that women with fibromyalgia also need a special doll in which they can demonstrate ways it is ok and not ok to be touched.  I can't tell you how many strangers, acquaintances etcetera hit me on the arm or shake my hand in a way that is very painful.  Hugs, handshakes, high fives.  I told one woman who wanted me to high five that "I ONLY HIGH FIVE IN SLOW MOTION!"  We end up being forced to tell people that we have fm when we'd rather not get into it.

Anywho, touch is good for everyone.  And people with fm don't eschew good touch we only eschew touch that hurts!

No comments: