Monday, December 3, 2012

Amazing intervention in the psych. hospital

Much of what I see in these psychiatric hospitals are plenty of techs who are incompetent, or just there to collect a paycheck and ignore the patients.

But there were a few techs and a few nurses who were stellar.

One day , 24 y.o. Nate* went into a frenzy and demanded his medicine.  I thought he might be schizophrenic but on my last day in the hospital he said that he was beaten by 2 men and brain damaged.  He speaks nonsense most of the time.  He began secreaming and cussing and then challenged the tech, James* to "put up your dukes!"  He physically went after james while cussing and screaming.  James* being one of the techs who is just their to collect a paycheck, went into the nurses station laughing.  I see nothing funny about this at all.

Then Nate went after Charles the 53 year old who looks 75, and has the mental competency of maybe a 1 year old.  Charles was terrified and ran, he continued to relive and retell the story in the coming days.

Nurse Louann* is the one who stunned me with the beautiful intervention.

She went over to Nate looked him in the eye and gently took his hands.  She asked him: "May I give you a hug?!"

He said: YES!

She embraced him for a while, and spoke calmly in his ear.

All I can say is wow; sometimes practicing peace really works!

No comments: