Saturday, December 22, 2012

"The most interesting part of my life"

Nowadays the most interesting part of my life is the people I'm meeting when I hitchike.  If I am not / was not willing to hitchike I would have been housebound for over a week.  The ice is very thick, and the plow never cam to my neighborhood.

As you know it's extremely rare for me to go with a male.  Usually I go with women, couples, or families.  But the other day I literally had to get a ride "across the street!"  The ice had flooded and i couldn't walk thru the flood so a senior drove me across the street.

I am also furious that there doesn't seem to be a town in the u.s. that is taking care of roads and sidewalks to where a pedestrian can be safe.  I will join the ped. advisory committee.

Yesterday a senior from "joysey"  named "shoyley"  (shirley) took me 3 miles east.  She was smoking a cigarette and had a young girl in the car. (and she is judging people who eat un healthfully) Oddly, she said this:

"Mountain Town people are very unfriendly and judgemental but home in Joysey everybody is so nice"

well alrightey then, i have a hard time buying that but i dare not argue!

Then, she says "Who do these thieves think they are?  They don't even need food stamps , they are driving fancy cars and buying 70 dollars worth of junk at 7-11."

(I can tell she is not exactly open to debate.  How odd she should breach this topic with me out of nowhere.)

When she finally takes a breath I say this:

"I don't know.  I really try to be the sort of person to look at an issue from different sides, because I have a degree in social work, i llike politics and i have seen this issue from different sides.   I have had money and at other times I have not.  I'm sure Mountain Town isn't the only place where people are ignorant.  There have been times in my life where, I was unable to even get to a grocery store and 7-11 was my only option!"

Anywho, the best conversations seems to be while hitchiking, and  it gives me a chance to surreptitiously sneak in my opinions on important political issues!

No comments: