Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New Blog Series/"Weird Sh---strangers say to me in hallways, elevators and on the streets"

8/13/08

Today, I was on my way to check mail (and there is always a very stressful interaction if I have to see any of my neighbors) and crazy Dorothy said that she was glad she didn't have to ride the elevator alone. (thru the grapevine i hear that she is bi-polar, if it's true, then she probably is bi-polar 1 which is the more severe variety) I asked her if she is scared of the elev, but as usual I didn't get a very straightforward answer. She said yes, "cuz of this" she pointed to the blankets on the walls of the new elevator. She said: "It makes me feel closed in" I thought, "you are always closed in on an elevator" Anyhow, she mentioned that she got stuck on this new elevator.

E-"Did you get stuck with Gus?"

D-"No, I got stuck with Popeye"

E-Popeye and Gus are the same person

D-"They are?"

E-"Yes"

D-"So, Popeye was screaming and you know that lady who can't talk she grabbed me like this (D proceeds to grab me!)

E-"It's not necessary for you to act it out on me D"

I've gotten my mail and I press the button so I can go back up. D. stands in front of the elev. blocking it even though she has no intention of riding back up. This is when she grabs me. It hurts because people with fibromyalgia don't do so well with being grabbed.

AT THE BUS STOP TODAY

GET OVER HERE! WHAT DID I SAY, DON'T TOUCH THAT COME OVER HERE RIGHT NOW GET IN THAT SHELTER GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF THAT GET AWAY FROM THE NEW BOX!

The little girl is 6 years old and cute as a button. I start talking to her. She asks me my name and I tell her. She says: "My name is Candy and my big sister's name is Keisha" "Everybody needs a house" "There's this homeless man and he digs from the garbage can and when you are homeless you don't have any food either"

E-"Everybody needs a home and food, right?"

C-"Yes, but he has a box"

E-"He probably sleeps in the box" "It's going to rain" "I hope the bus comes before it starts raining" (It begins raining)

C-"Look the drops of rain are coming into the shelter"

E-"Yes, but we're staying dry"

C-"This shelter needs doors and flat screen t.v.! and an extra room for children to play!"

E-"You're silly! But doors are a great idea!"

C-"We just came from the welfare office, right there"

E-"Will the bus come from the city?"

C-"It will come from California!"

E-"Ya know how long it would take to drive to CA?"

C-"I was there"

E-"California?"

C-"The zoo"

E-"What animals did you see at the zoo?"

C-"I saw snakes. I liked the girl snake. It was wearing a bikini and a collar"

The toothless mom chimed in gearing her comment to the other woman sitting in the shelter. "She sho do got sum imagination"

E-"She's got a great imagination"

C-"Do snakes wear lipstick?" The girl asked me.

E-"Only on t.v. and make believe"

C-"There's the bus. Will you get on this bus too?"

E-"Yes!"

Mom yells at her for the 1.5 mile ride. As I go to deboard (deboard? I have to look that up) I wave goodbye to the little girl.

Candy and I's meeting just might be the nicest interaction we'll have all day!


No comments: