Friday, April 11, 2008

"Each day filled with grueling decisions"

I got my first offer for a trial position, live in. I spent more than a week trying to figure out whether or not it is a good fit. It's the live in position serving as a companion for an elderly man in a very safe section of Baltimore County. With trepidation I called and asked if there was a car that I could use, and explained that I can't live in that part of Bmore without one. She thought about it and decided yes. (The car just sits there, and I offered to pay my share of the expenses)

I thought about how my life would improve with a car, and she said that if I wanted to job hunt with it I could. And you're probably thinking, "then you should have taken it elana, you should have taken it."

But I have had 80 addresses in my life, and they all influence who I am today. I was not ready to move in with this man. My intuition kept telling me not to move in with him despite the fact that I would have been safer. He's the one who has the t.v. on 24/7, and sleeps in front of it. I proposed to the daughter, that I commute from my place and still fulfill all the needs they are looking for. (I'd still use the bedroom but not necessarily stay over every night) She, unfortunately didn't like the idea. It would have allowed me to transition into a new situation.

Let me tell you about my past roommates. Their was Ann, from summer 01. When she was upset she'd bang her head into the wall. She opened an unlicensed daycare in our apt. without asking me if I minded or not. The children stole my food and my music.

There was Paul, he had custody of his kids every other weekend, he taught his 5 year old to climb onto the stove so she could reach the top kitchen cupboard for wine glasses.

There was Sam, who sexually harrassed me when his wife wasn't home.

There was Jim who told callers that I don't live there.

There was Frank, who lit candles then forgot about them and left them unattended. (The bedroom of his house burnt down before I moved in)

Oh, and Jim had custody of a 5 year old and 3 year old but kept gas containers indoors.

There was Les, who I mentioned in my 11/05 blog, the one who was mentally ill and expected me to keep Kosher.

Before I move in with people, I review the people I've lived with and then try to work up the courage to move in with them! Needless to say, moving in with a family takes GUTS AND MORE!

I will continue to run live in nanny ads however, and keep interviewing, and I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Elana.......sorry I haven't been calling lately.......too much stuff going on.

gotta go......big exam later.

bed..........

peace

miss ya

Anonymous said...

Elana,

This post and all your writing is wonderful. I think you would get much more readership if you were on www.wordpress.com, which is also a free blog hosting platform. Also, a couple of the blogs on Wordpress have recently got book contracts. Keep up the good work. -- Johnnie

Anonymous said...

I second that. We're on wordpress. It's very very easy to switch. And you can import all of your stuff from here to there! We had a blogger account, but we moved to wordpress. It's much better, in our opinion.

you could have your same blog name at wordpress, if it isn't already taken. One of us will be MORE THAN HAPPY to explain what we know about wordpress to you. It's really an awesome blogging tool.

Athena of athenivanidx

elana r. snyder said...

I'm a little too overwhelmed to make the switch right now. But I will keep it in mind!

Athena, please email me directly from your email account, so I'l have that address.

Glad you're still alive johnnie!

elana r. snyder said...

I would need help transferring to WordPress I can't do that by myself and I know the public librarians wouldn't know how to do it either. But it sure is a fantastic idea I assume that is why you switched. Despite the fact that I got frustrated with you in 2012 I still really appreciate your devotion to my writing