Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"A Few Steps Up"

I've been meaning to tell you about this for quite a while. Mostly all I see around me is a society in extreme dysfunction. Mostly, it's tough to get anything accomplished , especially if I have to depend on others to do their part. But every once in a while stuff gets done the right way, and it's very gratifying.

This happened almost 2 years ago. I had been noting for quite a while that the staircase in Towson, made of wood, at 1 E. Joppa, did not look safe to me. It takes you from Barnes and Noble down to the bottom of the plaza to Trader Joes. I had always been afraid to take that staircase, uneven wood, holes, just made me nervous. I thought about the hundreds and hundreds of people who absentmindedly take that staircase each day.

I told the clerk at Barnes and Noble that I had a concern about it, and she forwarded my note to the manager, who apparently contacted the person in charge , the owner I guess. Within 2 weeks the staircase was roped off, new wood was ordered, and the staircase was rebuilt!

That's "my" staircase, and it makes me happy to think that I might have saved a life or at least a few limbs from being broken!

Small victory but victory nonetheless!

No comments: