Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Job hunting while carless is a terribly long process

My main focus, but not my only focus, has been on finding live in nanny work. I have a significant amount of competition as far as sheer numbers of women seeking this type of work. I'll bet that many of them are in my boat. Seeking live in because they are carless and can't get hired any other way.

My advantage is that I have my 90 credit hour early childhood education certificate from Towson University, experience as a nanny and teaching preschool, and a Bachelors in Social Work.

Some of the moms need a nanny so bad that they won't even make the time to interview me. Some of the mothers are afraid to give up their phone number which I think is really silly, because if they are using craigs list to find a nanny then they have to take a chance with strangers. If you are so scared you won't even give out your #, you probably shouldn't use Craigs List to find a nanny!

It feels like the right path however and I am running these ads in my favorite cities all over the nation, keeping climate in mind. (I sleep best in that short period of time where you don't need air conditioning or heat) I think that is largely because I've always lived in places where there is either no air conditioning, insufficient air conditioning, uninsulated homes, no heat, or insufficent heat. Needless to say I've slept a little better this week then usual.

I still read the job ads in the local paper, but I really am at the end of my rope with public transit here, and don't want to put myself through the extreme stress anymore, not to mention the fact that employers don't want to hire you if you don't have a car.

Still have to hide my last few belongings around the house due to the thefts, so that is really taking a toll on my health. But I will most likely continue to pay the rent on the place no matter what, since, a federal subsidy is nothing to "sneeze at"

I could be wrong, but my instinct is that once you get that subsidy, you should "stay on the track" i.e. not drop it, as you might need the subsidy again in your life, and I'd like to have a "insurance policy" against future episodes of homelessness!

Just taking it one day at a time. Eager to be productive again as a nanny, using my skills and talents!

No comments: