Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Probably true in most "college" towns

Now, I understand why so many Towson (a section of Baltimore County) homeowners resent living in close contact with so many university students. Saturday you may remember I attempted to go to the Towson Spring Festival. Turned out it wasn't free, so I didn't go in, but more importantly the music was so deafening I'd just be paying for a "ticket" towards rapid hearing loss.

But the subject of this post is mainly the resentment of community members. The entire campus was filled with drunken stumbling men. One man was so drunk, he "rushed" me and then stopped about 1/2 inch from my face. I yelled "DO NOT BARREL INTO ME" If he had, he would have really hurt me. His friend apologized.

I must have seen 100 or more drunks. Nearly every man I saw from the University all the way into the Towson main center (off campus) was drunk. Cop cars sped up York Road. (not unusual) and I overheard a girl say on her cell to a friend that the cops were heading to a frat party to break it up.

This is the first time I haven't felt safe surrounded by Towson's college students. Perhaps I've never been near campus on a pretty spring weekend day, on the day of an outdoor festival.

I now understand why the homeowners are looking forward to May, when many of the kids will head to their parents homes for the summer.

Now, Baltimore is the kind of town that doesn't get any safer over the summer, in fact, most cities crime rates skyrocket in nice weather, and I'll bet we are no exception. But for homeowners living on the same block as a frat house or in close proximity to other partiers probably feel some relief anyway.

No comments: