Saturday, March 3, 2012

NPR featured book "Operation Family Secrets"

Yesterday I heard NPR for the first time since fleeing MD. I had forgotten how listening to NPR deeply enriched my life!

NPR were interviewing Frank the author of the book o.f.s. It was a very painful interview for me to listen to. In many cases when memoirs move me to tears it's because of parallels I have to the author's life.

FRank was forced to serve the mob, and raised by the mob. He explains that in different parts of the u.s. there are different names; for example mafia in one part is mob in another.

One of the things that moved me to tears was listening to him describe some of the crimes the mob would perform when someone didn't pay back their "juice loan" One crime was identical to one of the thousands I was victim to since June 2005. In my case I was the victim of a long series of hate crimes.....which I wish I could tell you about but my case hasn't gone to court yet so I can't.

But, the crime he described, one of the ones I've xperienced is, the criminal came into my home and put a dead rat on my living room floor.........

This is a fascinating and educational memoir describing a world most of us can't even imagine.

No comments: