Friday, June 14, 2013

"Friendly Mountain Town"

Because this is a very friendly community and I'm naturally outgoing, the connections are exciting.

 , I have given out my phone number  20 to 90x a month every month since I moved here. One of the reasons Mountain Town is so friendly (some posit) is because everybody is a transplant not truly being able to claim it as their own, 'cept the Native Americans.

  We are a combination of artists, transients, tourist and college students. In the moments and/or hours in which I'm making new connections, my life feels rich.

This time when my imitrex was ready I actually had all the co pay funds..  A woman let me go ahead of her when she heard my name called. After I got my medicine, I picked up $5.60 worth of  groceries, then  got in line.

  A woman said, "you go ahead of me" She then laughed and said "Hey, I was already nice to you once today, I can't afford to be nice to you again!" I laughed and I said, you go ahead I don't need to go first. I told her that I was in my 3rd day of a migraine. She said "I can't believe you are still standing up!" "You know" she went on "3 days with a migraine?! I'd like to buy your groceries!"

"I accept!" I said. It just might have been the first thing to make me smile in days! (In my experience, these kindnesses almost never happened in Baltimore) For as low as my qol is, I don't think life would be any better anywhere else, as long as I'm in poverty.

No comments: